Solved

Force FME desktop to use a particular Edition

Hi, Is there a way, I can force FME workbench to use a Database Edition license rather than an ESRI Edition license, considering I have both versions?

icon

Best answer by david_r 6 April 2017, 17:16

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

The Database edition contains everything of the Esri edition. If you have an Esri edition license, you can upgrade to a Database edition by difference payment. Contact your reseller to learn more.

See also here: FME Desktop Pricing & Editions

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Assuming you have floating licenses for both, the only way I can think of is having two license servers (one for the database licenses, one for the ESRI licenses).

You can then point your FME Desktop client (using the licensing assistant) to the license server of your choice.

Userlevel 4

You can (among other things) configure your FlexNet licensing server to always give a specific license level to a specific machine.

Some documentation from Safe: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Desktop_Admin_Guide/FMEInstallation/Restricting_Licenses_to_Users_or_Groups.htm

However, I recommend you look into LicenseAdministrator.pdf that is installed in the FlexServer/Documents directory on the license server, specifically chapter "Managing the options file" on page 147 for more detailed information.

Badge +2

You can (among other things) configure your FlexNet licensing server to always give a specific license level to a specific machine.

Some documentation from Safe: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Desktop_Admin_Guide/FMEInstallation/Restricting_Licenses_to_Users_or_Groups.htm

However, I recommend you look into LicenseAdministrator.pdf that is installed in the FlexServer/Documents directory on the license server, specifically chapter "Managing the options file" on page 147 for more detailed information.

This worked well when I configured it for a customer a few years ago. The only time I ever did it for FME!
Badge

And if you are using fixed not floating licenses then no, if you want both licences the same machine. Fixed licenses always "stack".

In addition, if the floating license manager has both, then the first one you pick will always be the one FME tries to get. To change, you need to go through the Licensing Assistant and pick a different Edition.