Question

Raster processing, dithering

• 18 March 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge +9
  • Contributor
  • 101 replies
Hello

Is there a way to apply a "dithering" function in FME ?

I need to create black/white raster output, where all grey shades are "dithered" and not output as a grey scale image.

I looked around in all ressources available, but couldn't find an answer.

Michael

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi again Michael,

I do not know about FME, but one of my colleagues has had a lot of success integrating ImageMagick with FME, as it enables you to automate advanced raster processing, e.g. through batch scripting. It is also free to use.

ImageMagick seems to have good support for dithering, so it might be something to look into as an alternative solution. It can be a bit of a puzzle to find the right parameters, but once you have the right setup it can be an amazing time-saver.

David

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hello David and Michael,

Thank you for your answer David.  Although we don't currently have dithering support, I see we have an enhancement request (PR) in our system to look into both ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick for parts of our raster support.  Having customer interest in support for this will increase the profile of the request in our system.  I have added both of your contact details and will provide an update when we have more information on this PR.

Candace