Question

neigborhoodfinder

Badge +6

Hi Guys,

I'm fixed in a problem....i have Contour lines, but only the lines with the elevation 10, 20, 30, 40, etc....meters have attributes where this elevation is stored. the contour lines between f.example elevation 12,14,16,18,22,24,26,28,etcc...have no attributes....is there any possibility (for example with neighborfinder, sorter,etc...) to give these lines attributes with their elevation?

Thanx and greetz

Franco

2 replies

Badge +6

the red ones are the lines with attributes....e.g. here 450m and 500m, and the yellow between are 460,470,480 and 490 m...so can i give them yellow lines these attributes and how?

Neighborfinder with a direction based on a mathemathical logic?

Greetz Franco

Badge +22

The problem with a neighbor finder based solution is saddle points and the like, when two adjacent contours have the same value. Or sheer cliffs, when multiple contours can be coincident.

I would try draping  the contour over a dem (aster or srtm if nothing else is available) and average the vertex Z values.  If you identify the known contours on either side, that limits the range the contour can be and you can drop any Z values that aren't within the range.