Question

Generic Reader and Schema Reader - Published variable issues

• 23 October 2013
  • 0 replies
  • 1 view

Badge
Hi,

I have a chained set of translations in development.  I have been using Schema Reader and Generic Reader while publishing their Source Dataset and chaining them together with Workspacerunner (I do not have FME Server).  I have had great success with chaining translations in the past, but I have never used the Generic Reader or the Schema Reader.

I would post the translation, but right now I cannot.

The problem is, I have a lot of file geodatabases (*.gdb) and I need to send a combination of many or all of them through as the source for the schema reader in a child translation.  So I make sure the child translation has the source for the schema reader published and then I create the string for the gdb paths and send it through the workspace runner to the child translation from the parent.

Here is how the string looks before it goes through the workspace runner:

C:\\Projects\\Area1\\ClientNetwork.gdb,C:\\Projects\\Area2\\ClientNetwork.gdb

Now when the child translation fails I go to take a look at the log file and it states this:

FME Configuration: Command line arguments area ... (This is correct)

but... further down it keeps repeating this line:

|ERROR | Unable to connect to the File Geodatabase at 'C:\\Projects\\Area1\\ClientNetwork.gdb,C:\\Projects\\Area2'. Make sure the correct filename was specified, and that ... (the rest is usual for those familiar with ESRI/Arcobject error codes)

The issue is, looking at the string/location of the gdb it is trying to connect to it is as if the reader did not understand I was trying to send it two geodatabase locations and proceeded to chop off whatever was after the last '\\' and use the remainder as the location, totally ignoring the comma that was there to divide the two paths.

When I open the child script and manually put in the two paths and run it, it runs fine, the paths I put in are separated by a comma and each individual geodtabase is opened separately, but when I try to do it through the Workspacerunner, it gives the following issue.

If anyone has tried to pass two separate source locations/files through to the Generic reader or Schema reader, let me know, both are giving the same error.

Thanks,

0 replies

Be the first to reply!