Question

Attribute Remover does not work with User Parameter

• 23 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Hey, i use an Attribute Remover to get rid of Attributes i dont need. Although, when i use a User Parameter to declare what Attributes to remove it doesnt work. If i preselect them in the Parameter Editor of the Transformer it does. Any ideas?

9 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Have you maintained the same case as attribute is present?

I mean parameter should be defined as per the case sensitive i.e. "attributename" or "Attributename"

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @andi_kraus, probably you encountered this situation.

1. Create a user parameter linked to the Attributes to Remove parameter in the AttributeRemover without default setting.
  2. Select some attributes through the user parameter, but the attributes are still exposed on the Canvas.

However, the user parameter setting works fine. In the example above, the attributes "a", "b", and "c" will be removed definitely at runtime, even though the attribute names are still shown on the Canvas.

I think it's a limitation of the current Workbench that the setting of a user parameter linked to a transformer parameter won't be reflected to the user interface of the transformer.

Badge +2

Hi @takashi,

Could you let me know which version of FME you have tested. When I checked in FME 2017.0.1.0 Build 17288, it is deleting the attribute when I pass one attribute but if I pass more than 1 then it is not deleting...

I have attached workbench which I tested. I received both Step-1 and Step-2 results are same

none2none.fmw

Pratap

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @takashi,

Could you let me know which version of FME you have tested. When I checked in FME 2017.0.1.0 Build 17288, it is deleting the attribute when I pass one attribute but if I pass more than 1 then it is not deleting...

I have attached workbench which I tested. I received both Step-1 and Step-2 results are same

none2none.fmw

Pratap

I checked it with FME 2017.1.2.0. However, the version of FME is not a relevant issue here. You will have to create the user parameter linked to the "Attributes to Remove" parameter from the menu button on the transformer parameter.

Badge +2
I checked it with FME 2017.1.2.0. However, the version of FME is not a relevant issue here. You will have to create the user parameter linked to the "Attributes to Remove" parameter from the menu button on the transformer parameter.

Fine @takashi, but this option is same is as select attributes.

I don't understand why I have to create parameter only by this approach instead of selecting Add Parameter in navigator panel.

Anyhow I came to know new constraint of attribute remover here.

Thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think the parameter types that we can choose in a user parameter definition on the Navigator window do not cover all possible types for transformer parameters. If you created a user parameter in the Navigator window and linked it to a transformer parameter, some might work fine but some might not work like the "Attributes to Remove" parameter. Therefore, it is recommended to create a user parameter from an existing transformer parameter, if the user parameter should be linked to the transformer parameter.

It's a basic manner described in the Workbench Help (menu button on the transformer parameters dialog or right click on the parameter node under the transformer node shown in the Navigator).

Creating and Modifying User Parameters

Badge +2
I think the parameter types that we can choose in a user parameter definition on the Navigator window do not cover all possible types for transformer parameters. If you created a user parameter in the Navigator window and linked it to a transformer parameter, some might work fine but some might not work like the "Attributes to Remove" parameter. Therefore, it is recommended to create a user parameter from an existing transformer parameter, if the user parameter should be linked to the transformer parameter.

It's a basic manner described in the Workbench Help (menu button on the transformer parameters dialog or right click on the parameter node under the transformer node shown in the Navigator).

Creating and Modifying User Parameters

The purpose is to provide input to transformer by passing value A,B or E,C,A. Method can be either by selection of attributes or manual entry should be same.

1. Create a user parameter linked to the Attributes to Remove parameter in the AttributeRemover without default setting.
  2. Select some attributes through the user parameter, but the attributes are still exposed on the Canvas.

However, the user parameter setting works fine. In the example above, the attributes "a", "b", and "c" will be removed definitely at runtime, even though the attribute names are still shown on the Canvas.

I think it's a limitation of the current Workbench that the setting of a user parameter linked to a transformer parameter won't be reflected to the user interface of the transformer.

hey @takashi, this is exactly what is happening. Does this affect the performance in any way, since the attributes are not actually deleted from the schema?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

It's just an issue on the user interface of Workbench while creating the workspace. I don't think it affects the performance of FME engine at runtime, whether the missing attributes are exposed or not on the Canvas.