Question

Multicurve to Multiline Geometry Conversion

• 27 September 2016
  • 6 replies

How can I convert a Multicurve geometry type to multiline geometry type?

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @vojvod, in the FME geometry model classification, MultiCurve is a collection of Curve geometries, and Line is a kind of Curve. See here to learn more: FME Geometry Model

I'm not sure what "multiline" in the context means, but the ArcStroker might help you if you want to transform Arc(s) within a MultiCurve to Line(s).

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @vojvod, in the FME geometry model classification, MultiCurve is a collection of Curve geometries, and Line is a kind of Curve. See here to learn more: FME Geometry Model

I'm not sure what "multiline" in the context means, but the ArcStroker might help you if you want to transform Arc(s) within a MultiCurve to Line(s).

I agree. I don't think FME itself has a Multiline geometry type. Can you explain why this is necessary? Are you writing to PostGIS and want a multiple geometry of a particular type?

Badge +3
I have the same problem. I'm trying to write a set of unconnected related lines ("multiline" or "aggregate line") into a gdb, but getting an error about "multicurves".

A good example of a multiline (I think) is the land border between Canada and the US.

Badge
Dear FME community, I've the same problem and I don't find what kind of FME geometry is compatible woth Postgis Multilinestring. Have you find the solution since last year ?

Badge +1

I had a similiar problem when writing to PostGis. I have a shape-layer which will be recognized as Multilinestring when read by QGIS. In FME it appears as FMEMultiCurve. FMEMultiCurve cannot be written to PostGIS Multilinestring - even when there are only lines in it.

Here is my solution:

First use Deaggregator, then Geometryfilter to be sure there are only lines, then reaggregate with Aggregator.

image.pngimage.png

Badge

Same problem ...

for me worked:

• GeometryFilter to select only the lines
  • Aggregator
  • Deaggregator

Then I got in postgis:

• LineString
  • MultiLineString

and all geometries were fine.